- 4 tablespoons of rapeseed oil in a wide deep pan.
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seed and 1 half tsp of nigella seeds.
- Three quarters of a pound of waxy potatoes, peeled and cut in rough chunks.
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into florets.
- 1 finely sliced yellow onion.
- 4 garlic cloves smashed combined with one tablespoon of very finely grated fresh ginger.
- 5 skinned, deseeded and chopped tomatoes combined with 1 tablespoon of tomato puree.
- 2 teaspoons of coriander seed toasted in a hot pan for 2 minutes then ground to a powder in a coffee or spice grinder.
- 1 teaspoon of medium or hot chilli powder.
- 1 half teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 4 small green chillis, stems removed, slit along their length.
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
- 1 tablespoon of methi (fenugreek) seeds and 1 teaspoon of garam masala.
- Juice of half a lime.
- A small bunch of fresh green coriander chopped.
- A good sized chunk of fresh unsalted butter.
HOW TO DO IT
Heat oil. When hot put in cumin and nigella seeds until they begin to pop.
Add potatoes, sauté carefully until golden brown all over and remove.
Heat some water, boil cauliflower for three minutes, strain carefully.
Add the cauliflower to the pan in which the potatoes have cooked and browned. Add a little more oil if necessary. Remove and set aside.
Add onion to pan and fry until softened but not browned. Again, add a little more oil if necessary.
When the onion is soft, stir in the grated ginger and smashed garlic. Sit fry for two minutes.
Put in the tomatoes, puree, the ground toasted coriander seeds, the chilli powder and turmeric. Stir fry carefully for 15 minutes, adding a few tablespoons of water if it appears to be getting a little dry.
Add the sautéed potatoes, the fresh green chillis and salt. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for five minutes.
Return cauliflower to pan, add a good splash of water, cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until the
Finally, take off heat and stir in the garam masala and the fenugreek seeds and leave 10 minutes for them to soften. Add the juice of half a lime, the chopped fresh coriander and the good chunk of butter. Serve.