- 250g pancetta or smoked bacon cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried red chillis
- 2 red onions peeled and chopped
- 150 ml red wine
- 1 tin of peeled plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of rosemary
- sea salt and black pepper
- 250g penne
- 100g parmesan freshly grated
HOW TO DO IT
The key to his dish is the initial infusion of pancetta and onion.
Place the pancetta, oil and chillies in a large saucepan. Heat and fry until the pancetta becomes crisp.
Add the onions and fry till they become light brown and crisp.
Pour in the red wine – reduce it down till it goes syrupy – then tomatoes, and season with oregano and pepper. Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer for at least 45 minutes. It will go thick and almost dry.
Cook the penne in boiling salt water, drain and add to the sauce and mix. Serve with Parmesan cheese.