- One 1 to 2.5 lbs red cabbage
- Quarter pint good red wine vinegar
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 oz of lard or the same of rendered bacon fat
- 2 medium sized cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges an eighth of an inch thick
- 2ozs finely chopped onions
- 1 whole onion studded with 2 whole cloves
- A bay leaf
- Half a bottle of red wine
- 1 pint of boiling water
- 6 tablespoons (or more if you prefer) of redcurrant jelly.
HOW TO DO IT
Halve the cabbage and cut out the stalk on both sides. Finely shred it and toss in a large bowl with the red wine vinegar, sugar and salt. Leave for ten minutes.
Heat the cooking fat in a pot large enough to contain the cabbage. Add apples and chopped onion and cook until apples are lightly browned – about five minutes.
Add cabbage, clove studded onion, bay leaf and red wine. Cook for two minutes before adding boiling water. Bring to a fast boil, reduce heat and cook for two hours, covered, adding a little more red wine from time to time if it seems to be going a little dry.
If you have the luxury of leaving overnight, do so. Reheat before serving, stirring in the red currant jelly before bringing to table.