- A 4lb veal shank, enough for 4 people.
- Some veal stock – homemade is best, but store bought will suffice.
- Some chopped celery, carrots, leek, onions, parsley roots.
- Aromatics consisting of two crushed garlic cloves, some thyme, bay leaf, sweet paprika and tomato puree.
- If you are going with the wine sauce, a robust red wine from Spain or France.
HOW TO DO IT
Season the knuckle of veal, fry, roast finely chopped vegetables in the roaster, add the tomato paste and roast until light brown at 180c for about 30 minutes.
Add the meat, pour in the wine and veal stock, add the aromatics, cover and braise for 2 hours in the oven, basting from time to time.
Thicken the sauce at the end with some cornstarch mixed with water.