INGREDIENTS Serves 2
- Good quality spaghetti (150g)
- Olive oil (or chilli oil if you like things spicy)
- One large clove of garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- One red chilli (stalk removed, sliced into rings – with seeds)
- Eight anchovy fillets (from a jar, finely chopped)
- A handful of pitted black olives (roughly torn)
- Half a dozen ripe cherry tomatoes (halved or quartered)
- A handful of fresh basil leaves (gently torn)
- Fresh parmesan cheese (grated)
HOW TO DO IT
Cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of salted boiling water. Meanwhile, heat a decent glug of the oil over a medium heat in a large frying pan.
Add the chopped garlic and red chilli to the oil and stir for a minute or so until soft.
Add the chopped anchovies and olives and stir until the anchovies have started to gently melt.
Add the cherry tomatoes and a big dessert spoon of the spaghetti water to the frying pan, cover, and continue to cook for several minutes.
When the spaghetti is almost ready, but still slightly ‘al dente’, drain it in a colander and rinse in boiling water to remove starch, then add to the frying pan with the basil.
Mix the spaghetti in with the sauce until it has absorbed all the colour and flavour and then serve sprinkled with the parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper.