- 12 ozs of shortcrust pastry and an extra half oz of butter set aside.
- 1 peeled and chopped onion
- 2 rashers of streaky bacon with the rind removed and chopped
- 1lb belly pork, rind and bones removed and also chopped
- 1 small cooking apple peeled and chopped
- 3 ozs chopped strong cheddar cheese.
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of dried mustard
- 1 beaten egg
HOW TO DO IT
Roll out pastry and divide in half, using the first circle to line a lightly greased 9” pie dish.
Melt extra butter in frying pan and lightly sauté onion and bacon. Add pork and continue to cook for about 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to get cold. Stir in all remaining ingredients, binding with the beaten egg.
Fill pie base with mix and place remaining pastry circle on top, leaving a hole in the centre for steam to escape. Glaze surface with more beaten egg.
Place pie in preheated 425F oven for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 350F and cook for further 30 minutes. Remove and serve.
Admirable though this is hot, it is even more sublime cold, especially on a picnic.